Background Image for Header:
Applying to be a PSA
Who are Presidential Student Ambassadors?
Presidential Student Ambassadors are student leaders who exemplify Mountaineer values.
They come from diverse backgrounds and academic disciplines, yet they are united
in their passion to make a positive impact on and for West Virginia University.
- Are full-time WVU (Morgantown campus) freshmen or sophomores
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.7 (or high school equivalent if an incoming freshman)
- Exhibit good character, professionalism, and integrity
- Demonstrate effective oral, written, listening and interpersonal communication skills
- Are knowledgeable about:
- WVU, its mission, vision, and values
- student life and campus organizations
- their colleges, majors, and minors
- future opportunities that their degrees will offer
- Are interested and involved in the university, community service, and leadership activities
- Demonstrate the ability to be part of a team and to communicate with others from diverse backgrounds
- Have the desire to assist others
Serve as a representative of West Virginia University by:
- Attending university/college/organization events
- Participating in social media outreach
- Providing information and answering questions to various audiences
- Mentoring current and prospective students
- Volunteering for campus and community service events
Benefits of Serving
- Networking with campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students
- Networking with donors/potential donors, alumni, prospective students, and their families
- Enhancing resume by developing:
- Leadership skills
- Public speaking skills
- Interpersonal communication and listening skills
- Service activities
- Sharing their Mountaineer passion!
NOMINATE A STUDENT
(Morgantown Campus)Nominate Now
Applying to Become a PSA
to determine date.)
Selection and Notification
Selection is based on
cumulative GPA (3.7 minimum)
leadership activities in organizations
- nomination/letters of reference
Students selected will receive an invitation from President Gordon Gee to enroll in the Presidential Student Ambassadors class the following semester.
PSA Curriculum: Involves Two PSA Courses
WVUe 280 - Presidential Student Ambassadors: Leading and Serving, 3 credit hours
While it is leadership, service-learning, and Honors course, non-Honors students may enroll in the PSA class, if selected.
PSAs will engage in numerous public speaking assignments throughout the semester
In addition to accumulating a minimum of 40 service hours, they will attend at least 20 leadership events offered during class or approved by Student Engagement and Leadership.
PSAs who fulfill the course requirements will become Certified Student Leaders, a designation awarded by Student Engagement and Leadership.
WVUe 281 - Presidential Student Ambassadors: Speakers Bureau, 1 credit hour (arranged)
During the semester following the PSA class, students will enroll in WVU Speakers Bureau.
In addition to meeting periodically throughout the semester, they will speak at university events involving diverse audiences including, but not limited to, alumni, guests, current students, and prospective students and their families.
Speaking events may be one-on-one, virtual, or may involve an audience.
PSAs will share their Mountaineer experiences and serve as a resource to all interested parties.
FAVORITE LEADERSHIP Maxims
~ Malala Yousafzai
You’ll know you’re a good leader when people will follow you… if only out of curiosity.
~ Colin Powell